Monday, March 21, 2011

auf wiedersehen schaefers

Our friends the Schaefers moved to Portland and so we had a going away party at Jenny's house for them back in February. Jessica and her daughter Sienna love the Sound of Music and after I shared this party with Jess one time, we kind of wanted to copy it.  She had thought of doing it for Sienna's birthday, but went with Mary Poppins instead so we surprised her by making her going away party have a Sound of Music theme.
Jimmy sported the lederhosen.
I tried to convince him to wear the Peter Pan hat we have, but he wanted the Irish one so badly I couldn't say no.
 And he looks like a little drunken German in all of my pictures.
My crafty little friend Suzanne made all the decorations.
Here is her adorable "Do-Re-Me" banner:
The  "Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Strings" Cakes:
And little kerchiefs made from old curtains (or scrap fabric, but we can pretend).
She made little bow-ties for the boys too, but I don't have pictures.
I was one of the "Girls in White Dresses With Blue Satin Sashes."
If I hadn't thought of it right before we left for the party, I would have tried to make all the other girls do it, too. 
 Suzanne would have surely gone along with it at least.
And, of course, the movie was on in the background.
The party was a really fun time and the kids all had fun running wild as usual.
Jenny has this awesome inflatable ball that the kids can roll around in:
And when the static makes their hair stand up it is pretty hilarious.
We had just cut Jimmy's hair so we could see all the long spots that Zach had missed.  
I guess next time we cut his hair we will rub it with a balloon to check our work.
We made a scrapbook for them with pages made by all their friends in Phoenix.
I can't believe I didn't get any pictures of their kids Sienna and Jonah.
(Jess, send me some and I will add them)
But I did get one with Jess and the baby boy in her belly.
At the end of the party all the girls got up and sang our own version of "My Favorite Things" to help entice them back to Phoenix.  There is video of it which I am not about to post, because it is embarrassing and kind of awful, but Jess loved it and that is what we were going for.  It went something like this:

Swimming in sunshine and hiking on hills
Fun family friendships and borrowing drills
Camp trips and Mom's group with babies in swings
These are a few of our favorite things.

Zoo days and play dates and free culture passes
Craft fairs and art walks and fun swimming classes
Going to story time to our kids sing.
These are a few of our favorite things

When the rain pours
When the clouds bore
When you're feeling blue
Just simply remember your favorite place
And then you won't feel so bad

Remodeling projects and beautiful green lawns
Going to STA to hear Father John.
Sewing  and stitching some fabric with strings
These are a few of our favorite things

When the rain pours
When the clouds bore
When you're feeling blue
Just simply remember your favorite place
And then you won't feel so bad
......
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
The sun has gone goodbye and so must you
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye....
Goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't do that much of this. I had some ideas to contribute, but Suzanne was the decorator and Jenny was the hostess so they did most of the work. I just played dress up and helped with the song writing and singing. The real question is how do I find time to blog about it?.... I don't actually and that is why my blog is still stuck in February.

    ReplyDelete